No one likes pimples because they are ugly and erode our confidence. Therefore, most people with this condition work so hard to get rid of acne or hide them. I still wonder why there is still no permanent cure for a condition that affects more than 40% of Americans.
It is easy to tolerate any hidden part of the body but not places like face, chin, neck, etc. The back neck is the worst possible place that pimples can think of attacking. Unlike the other regions of your body where you can cover pimples with some form of clothing, it is impossible to hide zits on this part of the body. But that is just me. If you have a way of hiding cyst on the back of your neck, then kindly share.
I may not know how to hide zits on the neck, but I might just have some tips on how to prevent and treat them. I am going to share that with you in this article.
causes of acne on the back of the neck
When trying to treat any form of acne, ranging from small painless to large painful lump on your neck, finding out what causes neck acne is always the first step in the right direction. Here are some causes.
- Hormonal imbalance – hormonal imbalance during puberty, menstruation, and pregnancy can stimulate sebaceous glands to produce excessive sebum which clogs the skin pores hence the appearance of spots on this area or any part of the body that has pores.
- Long oily hair – Having long hair that constantly touches your neck could be the cause of these bumps. Long hair contains oil, which can clog your pores hence leading to these bumps on the back of your neck along the hairline region.
- Skincare products- some skincare products like moisturizers, makeup, sunscreen and hair products have components that might bock oil on your skin leading to acne.
- Poor hygiene – If you don’t wash your bedding then you are likely to get these zits. This is because oil and dirt from your hair can accumulate on your pillowcase and is transferred to your neck each night leading various types of acne including whiteheads, blackheads, pimples or even cystic acne. Another poor hygiene habit that could be contributing to the bumps behind the neck is touching this part with dirty hands. Your hands and fingernails can be dirty and touching will introduce bacteria and oil which will clog your pores. Then you will start saying, ‘I have pimples on my neck.’ Stop the touching with dirty hands.
- Ingrown hair – ingrown hair on the back of the neck is quite a common reason for the sore lumps on the back of the neck. This happens when hair curls around itself and grows in the wrong direction heading back into your skin. It leads to painful red bumps especially if they are infected. Ingrown hair is more prone to people with curly hair.
- Allergies – The painful bump could be due to an allergic reaction to some kind of foods, medication or skincare products. It is important to know what kind of allergies you have.
- Infections – Acne in this area could be a sign of a more serious illness. Though it may begin as a small bump and grow to a lump, having a lump that keeps on growing and won’t go away, it could a sign of cancer,
Treatments and remedies
There are several ways on how to clear back neck acne. The treatments will majorly depend on the cause and type of acne. Here are some general ways in which you clear these spots.
1. The Neck Regimen
Many users have given positive reviews about the wonders of Neck Regimen in treating pimples in this area. They say you can achieve an acne-free skin in 3-4 months if you strictly follow the procedure. The secrets given on how to remove pimples fast using the Neck Regimen is consistency.
2. Tea tree oil for back neck acne
Tea tree oil is considered one of the most effective home remedies acne anywhere on the body. Tea tree oil fights bacteria and fungi due to its antibacterial characteristics. The oil has also got soothing properties which help reduce the redness and inflammation.
Mix five drops of pure tea tree oil with two teaspoons of raw honey then simply rub on the affected area. The tea tree oil also contains Hyaluronic acid which helps remove the scars the acne scars. It is one of the fastest ways of treating any pimple-like bumps or acne.
3. Yogurt and Honey Mask
Mix one tablespoon of raw honey with one tablespoon of yogurt. Apply the mix on your neck. Wait for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with water. Do this at least three times a week until they disappear. This mask hydrates the skin and fights common causes of acne.
4. Apply castor oil
Another way to get rid of back neck acne is to apply Castor oil because it contains antibacterial properties which kill the acne-causing bacteria. Castor oil also absorbs the impurities around the affected area thus reducing spread.
5. Use fresh lemon juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid which is a very strong antibacterial. This makes lemon juice very useful for acne treatment. Lemon juice will make a pimple dry up very fast. Lemon also contains skin exfoliating properties which can peel the dead skin around the affected area and thereby reducing scarring. Do not use bottled juice because the preservatives may worsen your situation.
6. Garlic for pimple treatment
Garlic has got antioxidants and anti-inflammatory elements which could help get rid of the bumps behind your neck. Extract garlic juice by making cuts on a clove of garlic. Rub the juice on the affected part. Do this at night for maximum effect. Be sure to get the pimples gone the following morning.
- If you have long hair, then you should consider cutting it or keeping it clean by washing it regularly.
- Wash your bedding including pillowcase with mild soap
- Avoid touching your neck with dirty hands
Getting a pimple on the back of your neck is quite common and is not something you should panic about. Even without treating it, it can disappear on its own within a few days after its appearance, if you are patient.
Before embarking on any treatment, kindly find out the cause. Pimples in front of your neck should be treated with the same remedies you use to clear acne on your face since the skin around this area is soft and sensitive.