We live in a society where kids as young as 15 years already have an active sexual life. The dilemma that these kids face and many more people who have an active sex life is how to have sex and still avoid sex. Of course, a lot of research has been done in this area and we have so many contraceptives and other birth control pills on the market.
That said, the problem with these pills is the side effects and risks they pause to their consumers; they have been known to increase blood pressure, weight gain, mood swings, irregular periods and people who use them have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
The fact that more than 3000 Americans got unwanted pregnancies last year means there is something wrong with these birth control methods. Probably, most people don’t like using them because of the side effects. The use of natural birth control methods, therefore, becomes a fallback option.
There are several natural ways to avoid pregnancy. In fact, these methods were used before civilization and were efficient. Some scholars claim that if used well, natural family planning methods have a success rate of more than 90%. In this article, w share some of the ways on how to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
It is also known as coitus interruptus or pull out method. It’s a natural pregnancy prevention method in which a man pulls out his penis from a woman’s vagina prior to orgasm and then directs his semen away from the vagina. It requires a lot of discipline and practice to master this method, but it is quite effective if you get it right.
It is a popular birth control method; according to Wikipedia, it was used by an estimated 38 million people in 1991.
- The withdrawal method has no physical side effects and provides no barriers to stimulation. It is the preferred method for people who want to avoid the effects of hormonal contraceptives.
- The method has no direct monetary cost. It is relatively cheaper compared to other methods you can use to avoid pregnancy.
- The method can also be used by people who don’t have access to other birth control methods.
- The reliability of the withdrawal method is dependent on the effectiveness and consistency. The failure rate is about 4% for couples that use it correctly at every act of intercourse. Studies have also indicated that pre-cum fluid which is always emitted before ejaculation normally contains sperms which can cause pregnancy.
- Another disadvantage of this method is that it does not provide protection against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). You should therefore only use it if you trust your partner.
The rhythm method
This is a method that entails periodical abstinence of sex at certain periods during the menstrual cycle. It was used as a way to avoid pregnancy naturally before the invention of condoms and contraceptive pills. In the modern day, there are several mobile phone apps that can help couples use the rhythm method as one of the ways to stop pregnancy.
How it works
According to Doctor Akita S., one of your ovaries releases is egg every month. You always experience your period after a certain number of days ranging commonly from 21 to 30 days; therefore, ovulation will take place about midway before the start of your next period. (You should count days starting with the first day of menstruation)
After ovulation, the egg can live for 24 hours. On the other hand, sperms survive for 48 days after sex. You should, therefore, ensure that there is no sperm to fertilize your egg when it is released. To do this, you should completely avoid sex at least 3 days before to 2 days after ovulation. Because these are the most fertile days in your menstrual cycle.
The doctor says there are several parameters that can help a woman know when she is ovulating;
- Use a basal thermometer to check your temperature at the specific time of the day every morning. A slight increase in temperature is an indication that you are ovulating.
- You can purchase ovulation kits which can indicate when you are most fertile
- There are several ovulation applications. Download one that suits your needs.
- Some women experience increased sexual desire when they are most fertile. This is during ovulation.
- Breast tenderness is also a common indicator of ovulation. Some women experience it just before or after ovulation.
- The rhythm method is preferred by some religions especially the Catholic church as a birth control method because they are against the hormonal birth control methods.
- The rhythm method is not only a way to avoid pregnancy it can also be used to get pregnant. If you want to make a baby, then trying having sex around the time you are ovulating.
- This method does not have any known direct side effects.
- Even though it is natural contraception method, the rhythm method does not protect against STDs like gonorrhea, HIV, and Syphilis.
- It is considered one of the least effective methods of birth control. This is because factors like diet, stress, and age can cause the menstrual cycle to change.
Eating certain foods to prevent pregnancy naturally
There are some foods that have been considered as a natural contraception method. You should never eat these foods if you are pregnant because they can induce an abortion.
i. Papaya seeds
- Papaya seeds have an enzyme papain which interferes with the hormone progesterone thus preventing pregnancy. Unripe papaya can also do the same function. Papain has also natural abortifacient properties thus can be used for abortion.
- Ladies should eat unripe papaya seeds at least twice after having unprotected sex and continue doing it for at least three days. If you are having an active sex life, then try incorporating papaya in your diet.
- In men, eating papaya seeds are known to reduce the viability of sperms and the sperm count. It has therefore been used as a form of natural birth control methods in Sri Lanka and some parts of India. Eating the seeds do not have any side effects and is completely reversible if you stop eating it.
ii. cinnamon for birth control
If taken in large quantities, cinnamon stimulates the uterus thus inducing an abortion or miscarriage, you should consume it regularly and for a longer time if you want to use it as a birth control method.
iii. vitamin C
Vitamin C has got ascorbic acid which interferes with the progesterone hormone. Progesterone is responsible for preparing the uterus for pregnancy. Taking a vitamin C capsules daily will, therefore, protect you against pregnancy. You can also eat food rich in vitamin C like dried Citrus fruits, lemon, and guava.
iv. Cotton root bark
Dried cotton roots, when taken in boiled water or as tea, stimulates the release of the hormone oxytocin that prevents pregnancy.
v. Wild carrot seeds
If you take wild cotton seeds immediately after having sex, then you will not get pregnant. The seeds disrupt the synthesis of progesterone thus preventing implantation of the egg.
Taking dried apricots is an easy and effective way to avoid unwanted pregnancy. Mix 2 tablespoons of dried apricot, 2 tablespoons of honey and a glass of water then boil it for 30 minutes. Drink it immediately after sex. It can also cure excessive bleeding during periods.
The effectiveness of any birth control method is dependent on the right usage. Using the above methods is not a guarantee that you won’t get pregnant. Using natural methods to prevent pregnancy leaves you vulnerable to getting Sexually Transmitted Diseases and therefore should only be used if you trust your partner.