Are you having a dry flaky or itchy scalp? Then you should know that you are not alone. There are millions of people across the globe who are struggling with the same condition. While it’s hard to differentiate between dandruff and normal dryness, it is good to understand that dry scalps are the leading causes of dandruff.
In most cases, a dry scalp is always itchy and flaky. This is the reason why you may end up with dandruff too. The itching is because of skin irritation. Why does it get dry and flaky? This article explores possible reasons why your skin may become dry and flaky, and how to fix it
For many people, especially women, this is a source of embarrassment. You can imagine how it feels to deal with hair loss, white flakes, scabs, soreness, and itching daily. That is why it is essential to establish how to fix dry scalp. Let us begin by looking at the causes.
What causes dry scalp?
According to dryscalpgone.com, this is a sign of skin irritation on your head. Therefore, anything that touches it might cause an irritation.
Commonly, the dry flaky scalp is attributed to the following:
- The hair products that we use – Many skin conditions, especially on the head, are attributed to the hair products that we use. These products that might cause irritation include conditioners, shampoos, and styling products among others.
- Weather condition – Did you know that you are likely to get a dry scalp when the weather is extremely cold? Yes, many people develop a dry scalp in winter. Due to the cold conditions, moisture in your head is eliminated. Consequently, it becomes dry and may also flake.
- Dehydration – If you don’t drink enough water, your skin, including the scalp become scaly and dry. Drinking a lot of water, therefore, can help in preventing this condition.
- Lifestyle – If your scalp is getting dry and flaky, then this is an indication that your overall health is wanting. This can be an indication that your body is missing some vital vitamins and minerals. It can also be an irritation from something you are taking such as birth control pills.
- Stress and anxiety – Many people develop dry and flaky scalps when they are stressed up or anxious. A nervous stomach and emotional disturbance can highly irritate your skin, thus making it to be dry.
- Skin Infections – Some skin conditions such as dermatitis and eczema can also be another cause of this problem.
- Scalp psoriasis – Although this condition is common in other parts of the skin, it can also affect the scalp. When it affects it, it gets dry, flaky and itchy.
Symptoms to expect
Like earlier noted, this dryness shouldn’t be confused with dandruff. According to Healthline.com, these two conditions are closely related. Dandruff might form because of a dry scalp.
Commonly, this condition will manifest in the following ways:
- You will see small dry flakes, especially when combing your hair
- The skin on your head turns red, oily and scaly
- The skin in other body parts also appears dry and scaly
If you note any the above symptoms, then you should automatically know that you are having a dry scalp. You should, therefore, identify ways in which you can this problem.
7 Remedies that you can use to fix dry scalp
Which is the best home remedy to get rid of a dry scalp? It is normal to research on the best treatment options. However, do you really know the products that can effectively cure your dry scalp?
This condition has remedies are many. In fact, some remedies are found at home. You don’t have to go to any hospital. Let us now explores some home natural remedies and treatments. I guess you have noticed that the condition can be easily managed in most cases.
Below are some of the available remedies to help you fix this menace:
Use onion, lemon and aloe vera juice
Any of these three products work quite well in fixing this condition. In the case of lemon juice, just squeeze half a lemon onto the affected areas. Rub it thoroughly such that the juice gets into the skin. Wait for a few minutes before washing your head. Lemon juice is not only an astringent, but it is also a good antifungal agent.
Onion juice works much more like the lemon remedy. Extract onion juice and mix it with honey. Smear it using a piece of cotton. Leave it for some time before washing it with shampoo. It is one a great way to restore and dehydrate your scalp
Finally, you can use Aloe Vera juice. Extract this juice and mix it with water. Gently apply the mixture on the affected area. Leave it on your head for approximately 15 minutes before rinsing your head. This, too, is an effective scalp treatment for dry scalp.
Apply some oil
Applying some oil is also effective in fixing this problem. Some of the oils for dry skin that you can use include:
- Castor oil
- Shea butter oil
- Sunflower oil
- Sandalwood oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Olive oil
- Moroccan oil
- Coconut oil
- Argan oil
- Baby oil
Any of the above oils are gently applied onto your scalp. Let the oil remain on for an hour or so before washing your head.
Egg and yogurt also work
This sounds mysterious, doesn’t it? You should mix the yogurt with an egg in a bowl. You can also add some honey. Smear the mixture on your head. Allow it to stay for one hour before washing it.
These two products are not only effective in cleansing your scalp but also in exfoliating it. They help in removing dead and dry cells. They are effective in unclogging clogged pores. These attributes make them one of the best dry itchy scalp remedies.
This is not a home remedy since you must buy it. Before applying Listerine on your hair, you should first wash it thoroughly. Dilute Listerine and gently apply it. Ensure that Listerine works on your scalp by massaging it for some time. Allow it to work for 10 minutes before washing your head.
Listerine gives one of the best solutions to fix the dryness you are experiencing. It is not only an antimicrobial agent but also a strong antiseptic product that can help you.
All you need is a few spoons of baking soda and water. Mix the two to form a paste. Gently massage your scalp as you smear the paste. Thoroughly massage it for some minutes. Then let the paste remain for about 10 minutes. Rinse your head with some cool water.
Baking soda is known to work perfectly well for many skin conditions. It is a popular antibacterial as well as an antiseptic agent. Due to its basic properties, baking soda helps in restoring optimum pH. Besides, baking soda helps in exfoliating your scalp. This helps in opening clogged pores.
Observe the right diet
The foods you eat can either strengthen your scalp or ruin it. For example, sugary foods are known to cause flaking. People who eat sugary foods are highly susceptible to dandruff and dryness. You should also cut down on the intake of alcohol and salt.
Instead, increase the intake of greens, fruits, and foods rich in omega 3. You should also take a lot of water to keep your skin hydrated.
The dry itchy scalp can best be treated with a shampoo. Which is the best shampoo this condition? This is a common question among many people.
The best shampoo should contain selenium oxide, zinc pyrithione, and ketoconazole. A shampoo with these components should be used for at least two weeks. After two weeks, consider using a moisturizing shampoo.
- Healthline.com Is It Dandruff or Dry Scalp? Symptoms, Treatment, and More
- Xojane.com How To Deal With Flaky Winter Scalp