We all know that oily skin can be such a hassle. You look like a grease ball in the morning, you wash your face and have it shine like shoe shine a minute later and you constantly look like you are sweating or like you have lathered an entire container of petroleum jelly on your face.
Despite washing constantly, spending far too much money buying oil absorbing sheets, and constantly asking friends to wait as you wipe down your face before you take a picture, everything around you is still oily because you can’t help touching your face often.
Yes, this gets worse in summer.
Not only that, but oily skin is like a magnet for all the dirt, dust and grunge in the air around you. Your pores are also constantly covered by that excessive film of oil so that breakouts and pimples are just a part of life you have resigned yourself to.
Somehow despite the fact that you are a grown human, you still feel like the unattractive kid in school going through intense puberty.
It’s a rough life and your skin requires constant attention. But in your quest to beat the ever strong oily skin problem, remember that in a few years, you will be grateful for it. That time-consuming, groan-inducing, difficult skin you have now, will be the saving grace of your youthful look later. While your normal skin friend is going to dry up and wrinkle like a raisin in the sun. so, you know, silver linings.
I hope you are feeling a slight bit grateful for your oily skin now, but as you reach for yet another oil-absorbing sheet, I am sure all that will fly out the window.
The good news is, there is actually a few things you can do. One of them is using a face mask that will help with the excess oil on your face without drying it out like a prune. We suggest natural ones because natural is always best.
Even better, it will take no more time than your grocery shopping list, and, will cost much much less. These fruits and vegetables have natural astringents that work to clean your skin thoroughly, unclog your pores and lessen excessive oil secretion
Homemade face masks for oily skin
To keep things cool and fun, we have three vegetables and three fruits you can use for your face masks to stop you feeling like an oil factory.
Here’s a kicker to start with. This face mask is most advantageous for oily skin as it acts as an exfoliator. Exfoliation is essential for this skin type as it scrapes away dead skin cells (improves desquamation) and unclogs the clogged follicles on your face. Lucky for us, this sweet fruit has enzymes that aid in exfoliation.
Benefits of papaya exfoliation enzymes
- removal of dead skin
- removal of excess oils
- makes it look youthful
- even its tone
- wrinkle defiance and anti-aging benefits
- makes it healthy
Papaya face mask use guide
- It’s as easy as 1 step. Papaya is so beneficial that a quick puree of it is all you really need. It does all the work by itself.
- However, if this seems a little too simple for your excessively oily skin, add a few drops of lemon water into it.
- If you need even more, here is a favorite:
“ combine it with a tablespoon of fuller’s earth (Multani mitti) – the go-to favorite for those with oily skin. Add rosewater to make a paste, apply it on the face and leave it on till it dries.” rewardme.in
For our first vegetable, we go with the ever hydrating cucumber. Talk about a vegetable naturally made with plenty of benefits. Cucumber not only hydrates, but it also has the same astringent properties that papaya has and the same benefits consequently. I do all this while also simultaneously keeping the PH level of the skin balanced.
“Cucumber skin is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, E, magnesium, and potassium” Pioneer thinking
Benefits of Cucumber
- Anti-aging properties
- Sunburn treatment
- Tightening of open pores
- Reduces eye puffiness (you may have seen this in movies)
How to use cucumber
Use the following ingredients for a cucumber, egg, lemon and mint mask
- ½ a cucumber, 1 tsp lemon, 1tsp mint, 1 egg white
- blend and refrigerate for 10 minutes
- apply on your face and wait for 15 minutes
- then rinse with warm water.
Use the following ingredients for a cucumber and yogurt mask
- ½ cup of peeled cucumbers, 1 tbsp of plain yogurt
- blend the cucumber peels and mix with the yogurt
- apply to your face and wait for 30 minutes
- rinse with cold water.
Good old’ banana comes to the rescue again. Banana’s are so good for the skin, that;
“Some people go to the extent of terming bananas as Mother Nature’s painless low-cost Botox.” Natural Beauty Tips
They are full of healthy nutrients and vitamins that still help with clearing the skin and keeping it healthy.
Benefits of banana face mask
- protection against sun
- anti-aging properties
- removes blemishes and dark spots
- evens it out
- moisturizing and hydrating cells
Use the following ingredients for a banana, lemon and honey mask
- 1 ripe banana, 1 tbs honey,1 orange/ lemon
- blend the banana and honey in a blender
- add a few drops of either orange or lemon juice
- apply and wait for 15 minutes
- rinse with a cool or warm washcloth
Remember to moisturize after
Fruit or vegetable, tomatoes work wonders. Healthy and delicious, tomatoes are great for managing oily skin. Just like the fruits and vegetables above, tomatoes have natural astringent properties that help to exfoliate it . They also have antioxidants, collagen, and antibacterial properties.
They “contains wonderful nutrients, such as phenolic compounds, carotenoids, folic acid, and vitamin C” Stylecraze
- Exfoliation of dead skin cells
- Anti-aging and anti-wrinkle
- Lightens it
- Increases production of collagen to firm it
- Balances its pH levels
- Evens its tone
Tomato face mask for oily skin guide
For a simple tomato mask, Simply just pulp the tomato and rub it on your face. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse
Use the following ingredients for a tomato and cucumber mask;
- ½ a tomato, ¼ of a cucumber
- mix tomato juice and mashed cucumbers and apply to face
- wait for 15-20 minutes and rinse
Strawberries are not only really good to eat but also incredible for your skin. Some people even say that it is natures best product. In fact:
“Strawberries are a natural source of salicylic acid which is found in most over-the-counter acne medicines” Janice Cox
That being the case, isn’t a natural face mask better than not? Strawberries act as an exfoliant as well, killing dead cells just like the rest.
“Super loaded with vitamin C, alpha hydroxyl acids, salicylic acid, aspartic acid, ellagic acid, folate and fiber” Bellatory
All of these help to prevent or manage oily skin, acne, and other disorders. Because of the salicylic acid, strawberry face masks work best for combination or oily skin. It is far too strident for a dry or normal one.
- Exfoliation of dead skin cells
- Fights acne and pimples
- Prevents premature aging
- Creates cell regeneration and heals damaged ones
- Balances pH levels
- Eliminates toxins
- Keeps it youthful
- Brightens its tone
Use the following ingredients for a strawberry and yogurt mask;
- ¼ cup strawberries, ¼ plain yogurt
- blend the mixture and apply to face
- wait for 10-15 minutes and rinse
Use the following ingredients for a strawberry and honey mask;
- use ⅘ strawberries, 1tbsp honey, 1tsp lemon
- blend the mixture for a minute and apply to face
- wait for 15 minutes and rinse
Add brown sugar to a different mask, and moisturize after.