We all thought that after our teen years, our battles with acne would end. Unfortunately, this is not so and to tell the truth, it doesn’t get easier with age. Many of us are still fighting this war brought on by factors including diet, hormones, makeup, dirty makeup tools and so many others. Finding the right and sure way to treat acne is frustrating since some products can irritate the skin making the acne worse. They are also expensive. Luckily, there are some effective products that you can find in the market.
The following is a list of some of the best acne fighting products that have been tried and tested.
Best makeup foundations
Acne prone skin
The best foundation for acne prone skin contains oil-free formulas and salicylic acid.
- Avoid heavy foundations that clog pores.
- Avoid powders that cause irritation.
- Avoid products with silicone as this can block pores leading to more breakouts.
- Avoid using mica since it will cause irritations.
- Use only enough makeup. Less is more in this case.
Some of the best foundations for acne prone skin include:
- L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup
- Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream
- Almay Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Liquid Makeup: contains soothing ingredients like chamomile and aloe. Contains salicylic acid too
- Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation
- Neutrogena Skin Clearing Liquid Makeup: contains salicylic acid and is oil free.
Best moisturizer for acne prone skin
Moisturizer helps keep the skin hydrated. Even though those who are prone to acne have oily skin most of the time, it is still important to moisturize. Choose a moisturizer with no alcohol. Alcohol dries out the skin leading to irritations that cause more oil production leading to inflammation. Choose moisturizers that are water-based or oil-free and that are gel and light-weight. This will keep it moisturized without causing breakouts. Some of the best moisturizers to use include:
- Neutrogena Oil-free Moisture: it’s light-weight and comfy to wear.
- Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer
- Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
- Avéne Clean-Ac Hydrating Cream
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
There is a difference between cleansers and face washes, but they can be used together. The best cleanser will leave your skin soft and clean without causing tightness or more breakouts. Look for a cleanser that has no sulfates, alcohol, artificial fragrances or mineral oils. It should contain soothing and antioxidant ingredients. Examples include:
- First Aid Beauty – Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay
- Boscia Cool Cleansing Oil
- Yes, to Tomatoes Daily Clarifying Cleanser
- Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser
- Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser
- LUSH’s acne face cleanser, Herbalism
Best face wash for acne prone skin
The best facewash rids the skin of oil and provides nourishment. Some of the best face wash products for those who often get breakouts include:
- Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash
- Clearasil Daily Face Wash, Sensitive
- Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash
- Olay Foaming Face Wash – Sensitive
- Christina Moss Naturals Organic Face Wash
A good skin care routine will help you tackle acne while keeping your skin healthy and nourished. The following is a simple care routine for your acne-prone types.
- Cleanse your skin. Wash your face every morning with a cleanser containing acne-fighting ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. This will help unclog your pores and remove dead skin cells.
- Be gentle when cleaning your face to avoid scarring or making the acne worse. Use only your hands since any face washcloth may cause your breakouts to rupture.
- Tone your skin. This is not mandatory, however, toning it balances its PH levels and acts as a backup plan for your cleanser. It also reduces shine and keeps it hydrated.
- Apply a moisturizer that’s non-comedogenic which means it anti-clogging and oil free.
- Wear oil-free makeup and only apply a light coat.
- Combine your acne skin care routine with acne medication to help expedite this problem.
- Keep your skin hydrated. When it is hydrated, it’s able to easily fight breakouts, heal faster and prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Detoxify twice a week.
- Do not pick at your pimples or zits.